[GreenYes] RELEASE: Campaign to Pepsi: "Close the loop NOW!"
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 27, 2002

CONSUMERS AND STUDENTS AROUND THE U.S.
CELEBRATE A RECYCLING VICTORY
AND TELL PEPSI TO "TAKE IT BACK!" NOW

Groups celebrate success in getting Coke to use
recycled plastic in beverage containers and
launch new effort to have Pepsi match Coke's
progress.

(ATHENS, GA)  Today students and consumers
joined activists participating in over 30 events
around the United States that celebrate
environmentalists' success in getting Coca-Cola
to use recycled plastic in their beverage
containers and to hold PepsiCo to the same
standard.  Coke is currently using 10 percent
recycled plastic in three-quarters of its North
American bottles.  Last week, Pepsi responded
to consumer and shareholder pressure by sending
letters to some of its bottlers and
shareholders stating that it is aiming to use
10 percent recycled content by 2005.

"This is a good first step," said Bill Sheehan,
executive director of Athens-GA based
GrassRoots Recycling Network.  "We are pleased
to see Pepsi finally start to acknowledge their
responsibility for packaging waste.  But 3 to
4 years to achieve what Coke is already doing is
totally inadequate."

GrassRoots Recycling Network and Ecopledge.com
kicked off the "Take It Back" campaign to
convince consumers to send their empty plastic
bottles back to Pepsi, asking the company to
'close the loop' by using the plastic to make
new bottles, rather than allowing the empties
to be littered, burned, or landfilled.

"We are pleased with the progress we have seen
from Coke on this issue and commend the company
for its efforts.  Pepsi, however, needs to
share responsibility with Coke for addressing
this ongoing environmental problem," said
Rebecca O'Malley, program advocate for
ecopledge.com.

Consumers will send thousands of empty plastic
bottles back to Pepsi over the course of the
next few days. Both groups are asking Pepsi to
match Coke's progress and begin using
10 percent recycled plastic immediately, and they
are urging both beverage giants to set a goal
of using 25 percent recycled plastic by 2005.

Both Coca-Cola and Pepsi promised to use
25 percent recycled plastic in their beverage
containers in 1990.  Coke made a significant
investment at the time, but ultimately both
companies broke the promise when consumer
pressure faded.  PepsiCo recently acquired the
Gatorade brand, which has been using 25 percent
recycled plastic for nine years.

 "This is the same company that promised
25 percent recycled content back in 1990 and then
proceeded to blow off that commitment," Sheehan
said.  "We'll believe that the company is
serious when we see a public announcement,
a plan, and results.  Furthermore, given how
quickly Coke has been able to move three
quarters of their North American bottles to
10 percent recycled content, we don't understand
why it should take Pepsi until 2005 to reach
the same result."

More than 1.6 million Pepsi soda bottles and
cans are thrown away every hour in the United
States.  In one day, more than 40 million Pepsi
soft drink containers become litter or get sent
to landfills and incinerators.  In 1999,
114 billion soda and beer containers were burned,
buried and littered, rather than recycled.
Manufacturing these containers solely from
virgin material requires more energy, emits
more greenhouse gases and creates more needless
waste than producing the same items using some
recycled content.

By contrast, recycling these beverage
containers can yield substantial environmental
benefits. Given the vast size of the beverage
industry, and the rapidly growing role of the
plastic bottle within it, these benefits are
significant.  The rate of growth in plastic
beverage container production is quickly
outstripping even that of the aluminum can.

###

CONTACT: Bill Sheehan (GRRN) 706-613-7121
Rebecca O'Malley (ecopledge.com) 213.251.3690 x302

Information on the Grassroots Recycling
Network's Beverage Container Campaign is at
www.grrn.org/pepsi/index.html

Information about ecopledge.com is at
www.ecopledge.com