Re: [GreenYes] Info needed on budget cuts to recycling programs
Jenny: I don't have the details at my immediate disposal but can get them to you. In Wisconsin, in each of the last two budgets (two-year budgets) the legislature has proposed eliminating state funding for local recycling programs, only to be subsequently restored at reduced levels and revised form. Moreover, the most recently passed budget (Fall 2002) the legislature eliminated funding for the UW-Extension solid and hazardous waste education and outreach programs (SHWEC). A bill has been filed to restore the program but there are only three weeks left in the session. These are the two biggest examples; recycling market development grants were also affected.

David Wood
GRRN Program Director