Re: [GreenYes] RE:the automated MRF ahead...
Doug,

(1) yes, the idea is that if you pulled organics, you could send
everything else through the "dry" system.  However, a strong
HHW collection program needs to run parallel with this MSW
collection program.
(2) re: handling "compaction"... the only material that doesn't
handle compaction well is glass, otherwise, it is wise and desireble
to compact "to a degree" (maybe not as intensely as current garbage
trucks) ... I don't know what the solution to broken glass is, but
if we define the problem as glass shards in the paper then I would
expect the paper mills to carry the burdon of solving that one since
they already are very good at cleaning up the incoming recycled fiber
stream, and they have the economies of scale on a daily basis to
support a financial investment in new cleaning systems.  I know that
there is also a marketing problem for broken mixed cullet (boy, do
I know that one), but that problem is tied to the fact that products and
packaging with secondary materials in them are not given any sort of
market "help" while the virgin materials world enjoys numerous
subsidies ... when we create market incentives for industry to use
secondary materials of all kinds then the glass marketing problem will be
lessened (but not solved since plastics use will continue to grow);
(3) re: the precision of the automated sorting systems... from what I
know it appears to be very good, and getting better every year.  Again,
if the market is correctly incentivized to use secondary materials, then
industry will figure out a way to use it and their "quality requirements"
for pristine feedstock from recyclers like EcoCycle will go lower as
they compete with each other for access to supply.  I have always said that
the "clean up" of the feedstock should be happening at the mills, where
economies of scale come into play, and not at a bunch of small MRF's
across the country.  Recyclers and MRF's should be the link that
collect the discards and separates "to a degree" certain products for sale
to industry, and that the future will require MRF's to do less and less
"cleaning" of the feedstock because the ultimate game for industry will be
to pay less and less for the material, and they can pay less for a "dirtier"
(or more commingled) feedstock.  For example, a large mill told me a
couple years ago that the future of recycled paper sales from MRF's to
the mills will be three grades: brown, white and "high grade" (like pure
white ledger)... and you know what, it's happening.

Eric

--
ÐÏࡱá