[GreenYes] Solutions for NYC -- 2 questions -- anybody?

The debates rage on here about the recycling program.  Here are two
questions we've needed answering for some time:

1.  If a Local Law is written stipulating that a certain tonnage of
materials be separated and marketed for recycling by certain dates, but the
City does not conduct a program to achieve the required result, then the
city is in violation.  In our case, the Citywide Recycling Advisory Board,
the Natural Resources Defense Council, some councilmembers and citizens
sued the City and won in court SEVEN TIMES over the 1990s because the City
was not achieving 25% recycling by 1994 as required by Local Law 19 of
1989.  Each time the judge simply gave the City more time to comply.  I
think the court may have even specified certain programs the City was
supposed to undertake.  The City has always been recalcitrant.  The State
DEC has also written pages of suggestions for methods the City can use to
increase its recycling rate, but has Never sought to deny permits or
anything else to force the City to institute programs to bring the City
into compliance.  The City Council has been asking itself, why should it
pass another law with requirements if the courts won't enforce it.  We are
currently close to 20%, but some of that is contamination (at the last
Manhattan solid waste advisory board meeting, Waste Management told us that
roughly 28% of the metal, glass, and plastic, and maybe 5% of the paper
collections is contamination and is exported for disposal, so that reduces
the stated recycling rate significantly). Jeez!  I wonder if this
contamination is the 40% of the MGP that is landfilled, and not a lack of
markets!  That can be solved by education!

In any event, has any municipality passed a law with stated remedies for
non-compliance included in it?  Are there other solutions that have
worked?  (BTW, the State's Solid waste management act of 1988 has a state
goal for recycling of 42% -- the City is nowhere near that, of course).

2.  The Mayor says that the metal, glass and plastic portion of the
recyclables are not successfully marketed 40% of the time.  Assuming it is
a lack of markets, I suspect the problem is mainly glass and plastic.  Are
other municipalities having problems marketing these materials?  NYC DOS
used to have a small division within its recycling program dedicated to
CREATING markets for its recycled materials.  I remember when that program
was dissolved (it's been many years).  I would expect that reinstituting
that division a few years ago would have prevented this problem.  Also, the
City government itself could be a huge market for recycled content
goods.  Currently, it is a market for some paper, but not much
else.  Giuliani fired the environmental procurement officer when he came
into power in 1993.  In order to get the most recent Solid waste management
plan approved by the City Council in November 2000, Giuliani Promised to
hire 2 environmental procurement officers and conduct training for the
agencies.  This, and most of the other promises, have been abrogated.  The
City has successfully fought off not one, but two environmental procurement
bills that the environmental community co-authored in the City Council (see
Local Law 482 - http://everest.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke/WPComm.htm.)  Are
there cities out there that are able to market all their glass and plastic
successfully?  I know that we used to...

Maggie Clarke, Ph.D.
Environmental Scientist and Educator
http://everest.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke/index.htm
New York City