[GreenYes] Re: Our pal Bloomberg slashes recycling
Marjorie,

         I listened to the mayor's speech over the internet and am still
confused as to what he is proposing.  Is he proposing that the
city eliminate curbside recycling and/or is he proposing that
the state repeal the bottle bill?  Can anyone enlighten me on
this?
         I wonder if you are aware of a report prepared by Science
Applications International Corporation (SAIC) for the New York City
Department of Sanitation says the city would realize considerable
benefits by expanding the state's bottle bill requiring a 5-cent
refundable deposit on beer and soft drink cans and bottles.  The
purpose of the study  was to determine the costs and savings to
the city if the state's 17 year-old deposit law were expanded.
         The report, released in September 2000,  recommended that
New York City support an expanded bottle bill that would include
wine and liquor bottles and non-carbonated beverage containers
such as juice drinks, sports drinks and bottled water and raise
the deposit from 5 to 10 cents.
         The Packaging Restrictions Report, which was written
in 1997, projected that if the bottle bill were expanded, New
York City would remove an additional 190,000 tons of waste per
year (primarily glass and plastic) from the waste stream and
reduce waste management costs by more than $8.6 million a year
by 2000.  Reduction of litter on New York City streets would be an
added benefit.
         The SAIC report said the efficiency of the city's commercial
recycling program "is limited by the value of the materials collected;
since PET and glass are low value high volume commodities, the
economic incentive is minimal. Expanding deposit legislation to
include PET and glass would provide a strong incentive to remove
these materials from the waste stream."

Regards,

Pat Franklin