[GreenYes] Great things happening in NYC

Great things are happening in NYC.  Today, the brand spanking new City
Council Sanitation committee held its first hearing.  (Heretofore, all
solid waste issues were covered (when they had the time) by one
environmental protection committee; now solid waste issues get this
committee's full focus.)  The first people they called up to testify were
the 5 of us from the NYC Waste Prevention Coalition.  The chair and the new
Councilmembers seem to be all for waste prevention and other things we've
long wanted for a long time.  They already had introduced their first
bill... agency environmental procurement and waste prevention practices --
the same bill that died, for the second time, as Mayor Giuliani and the old
City Council left office.

More about the NYC Waste Prevention Coalition and our testimony from this
hearing can be seen on the website:
http://everest.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke/WPComm.htm

We also gave them and urged them to pass GRRN's model Zero Waste bill.

Maggie Clarke, Ph.D.
Environmental Scientist and Educator
http://everest.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke/index.htm
New York City