RE: [GreenYes] fluorescents vs. computers
Hi Bruce ~

The question you pose is a great one, but not easy to answer.

Mercury is fairly mobile, and if the fluorescents are not recycled, I would
suspect that they would be broken in the solid waste handling process and
the mercury will be emitted to the air. However, the amount of mercury per
lamp is small, typically 10-30 mg per lamp.

On the other hand, the hazardous chemicals in computers (primarily lead in
the CRT and flame-retardant chemicals in the plastics) are fairly immobile,
but large in quantity -- several pounds of lead per CRT in a desktop
computer.

In a European study done in 1997, the environmental cost of mercury
emissions to the environment was set at about 20 times the environmental
cost of lead emissions. The report did not cover the environmental cost of
the flame retardants.

So, no easy answers.

How much does it cost to recycle the lamps? Are there ways to reduce this
cost?

What other opportunities might be available to implement  P2 efforts?

John Reindl, P.E.
Recycling Manager
Dane County, Wisconsin