RE: [GreenYes] Re: plastics recycling education
Stephen,

The SPI coding system was originally designed to allow processors to identify the plastic resins.  I was never intended to be used as a consumer education or identification tool.  HOwever, it was the best we had (and still have).  I think an expansion of the codes was investigated several years ago to address the consumer identification issue.  But, from what I recall, negotiations betweent the SPI and the NRC broke down resulting in no changes being made.  I haven't heard anything else about a new coding system since about 1994-95.

B. Wayne Turner
City of Winston-Salem
Utilities Division
phone: (336) 727 8418
email: waynet@cityofws.org

>>> "Stephen N. Weisser" <steve1092@yahoo.com> 01/07/02 05:42PM >>>
I understand that my local recycling program, like many, will not accept #2
tubs, only "narrow neck" contianers - bottles.
In reading the information here...I'm wondering...can #1 plastic trays,
cups, etc be recycled with #1 plastic bottles?
Or does the same thing apply with the melting temp, etc.

I think we should pressure the SPI and plastics industries to re-code #2
plastic tubs...why not just make them a #8.  Or something...

Thanks,
Steve Weisser