Re: [GreenYes] Atwater Prison electronic recycling - Modesto Bee Article
I, too, would like to hear Ted's objections to this proposal.  I think Hspie
(whoever that is!) makes some very cogent points against this idea, none of
which have to do with prisoner treatment, and all of which concern producer
responsibility.  I second those comments.

On the other hand, a perfect economy exists only in theory/ideology, and here
is an immediate solution to the pressing problem of computer recycling, which
at the same time can give folks behind bars some useful skills while they
await release back into society.  Why not embrace it as a short-term
solution, while simultaneously pursuing our goals of producer accountability?
 Of course I want Dell and Compaq (and IBM and Apple etc) to take their own
products back and recycle them under factory conditions, but until we can
acheive this goal, it seems to me that a patchwork of other stop-gap
solutions is necessary to keep this crap out of landfills.   The two goals
aren't mutually exclusive; we can use the prison  idea (and other
decentralized options) while we pursue company responsibility through other
channels.

We need deposits on computers, other electronics, white goods and tires!
They work for beverage containers; they certainly would work for big-ticket
items.

--Jenny Gitlitz, CRI