[GreenYes] Fwd: Re: [Greenyes Digest] V2 #117

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:36:13 -0600
From: "Reindl, John" <Reindl@co.dane.wi.us>
Subject: [GreenYes] Environmental impacts of alternative one-use plates

Hi all ~

I got a call today from a citizen looking for some hard data on the
environmental impacts of alternative one use plates, including (but not
limited to):

	1. Polystyrene foam plates
	2. Waxed coated paper plates
	3. Heavy paper "chinet" plates
	4. Rigid polystyrene plates.

Some detailed information would be especially useful, but any data would be
welcome.

Thanks much,

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI
Hi John our local compost company has no problem w/ the uncoated plates in their commercial compost, thus when there is a COunty luncheon, etc. all County offices have switched to the uncoated products and we now collect them w/the food waste and the compost collector gets them when he gets the restaurant waste from our commercial food waste program.  There has to be a monitor to keep the good people from throwing their plastics in there.

There is another potent aspect to yard waste bans and that's the economic benefits from establishing a mulch/compost industry using this feedstock Our County of 120,000 generates 6,000+ tons/year of yard waste which is all mulched, aged and sold at the landfill. We have never had a problem in eight years marketing the material and always made some money. (Could make more) Some landscapers apparently can buy it in bulk from us, screen our relativley coarse material further and resell it as a higher grade product.