RE: [GreenYes] recycling plastic number 5's and 6's.
Anne,

Thanks for that little bit of education about the PVC vs PET packaging choice.  Assuming equal package performance, is the cost the only other criteria that packagers use to choose PVC over PET?

B. Wayne Turner
City of Winston-Salem
Utilities Division
phone: (336) 747 8418
email: waynet@cityofws.org

>>> Anne Morse <AMorse@co.winona.mn.us> 12/12/01 01:11PM >>>
Regarding #3 plastic bottles (PVC), this is where we recyclers should be
making our stand - NO PVC bottles in the consumer waste stream.  The
eminently recyclable #1 and #2 can provide the same packaging attributes
that PVC provides.  Those companies that use PVC claim that they want the
clear look of PET, but don't want to pay the higher cost for PET.  We say,
PVC may be cheaper in the short term - for the producers, but is far more
costly when you look at it from a systemwide perspective.  This is a perfect
example of the neeed for producer responsibility; i.e design for recycling!

Anne Morse
Winona County, MN