Re: [GreenYes] Plastics and TRUE recycling
Dear C. William,

You are, to a certain level, taking what I said out of context.

What you quoted was a hypothetical question by one who doesn't know the
facts of what is misrepresented as recycling.

            One may say, "but by not collecting it,
            you send it directly to the landfill."

I responded to this hypothetical question by saying:

         ...it will go there anyway, even if it is
            collected at the curbside. It may not
            be the first trip from the curbside that
            goes to the landfill. But within a few
            short reuses of this waste, it will go there...
            hopefully, instead of the alternatives
            like incineration in this country or some
            other that is out of sight.

I am certainly not about to degrade the meaning of this fine word
(recycling) in English language. The present degradation rate is far too
great already.

Please keep focused on plastic. We could also go back into that terribly
murky subject of health effects of plastics in contact with food, or the way
much of the plastic is "recycled" by incineration. We all use water
inappropriately as well, but that is not the topic here. Think plastics. :-)

Recycling of plastics is not only an oxymoron, it is a hoax perpetrated and
orchestrated by the virgin plastics industries to get consumers to feel warm
and cozy about plastics being the savior of the world. I like the saying by
the APC "Think of it as the 6th basic food group."

We need to be asking the right question. The way to reduce solid waste is to
extract the mad consumerism from the collective mind of America. Now, THAT
would be a patriotic cause. The question again, should be how do we reduce
the consumption? Not--what the hec do we do with all this stuff now that we
made it???!

Comparisons of asking the wrong questions abound. Here's the latest that
everyone can relate to:

                Will genetically engineered crops feed the millions of
starving people in the world?

The correct question is:

                Why are so many starving when so many have more than enough?

FACT:
There are 6 billion people on Earth and enough to feed 9 billion.

So, start by to telling the truth, at least to ourselves, we must ask the
correct questions before finding a question for the answer we've
manufactured.

Paul