[GreenYes] Write EPA now for ZW in Beyond RCRA Vision!
Apologies for Cross-Postings

If you cannot attend the meeting in SF on 12/11, please email EPA by 12/7
to express strong support for including Zero Waste and strong messages on
Product Stewardship as goals in their Beyond RCRA vision statement. I have
included a draft for you to use as a base, but would appreciate it if you
modified it as much as possible so that all the input does not appear to be
from the same source.

Email and US mail addresses are listed below. When you send an email,
please send me a copy (although do not include me as an official cc:).

Thanks!

Gary Liss
for the GrassRoots Recycling Network
DRAFT EMAIL:

TO: RCRA-Docket@epa.gov (subject: Beyond RCRA White Paper),
leith.angie@epa.gov (Angie Leith)

I am writing regarding your Request for Comments on "Beyond RCRA: Prospects
for Waste and Materials Management in the Year 2020" A Draft White Paper.

My organization [ describe your involvement in recycling and Zero Waste].

We applaud the EPA's drafting of this visionary document and believe that
it has much to commend it.  However, based on our years of experience in
this field, we believe the EPA should adopt Zero Waste as the unifying
theme for this vision statement.

EPA needs to adopt Zero Waste as its overarching message to focus the
resources and attention needed on all aspects of the challenges and
opportunities of managing wastes and materials described in this vision
statement.

We also believe that producers of products and packaging must play a much
larger role in taking responsibility for the wastes that they create.  For
every ton of municipal discards wasted, about 71 tons of manufacturing,
mining, oil and gas exploration, agricultural, coal combustion, and other
discards are produced (Source: Wasting Recycling in the United States 2000,
GrassRoots Recycling Network and Institute for Local Self-Reliance, page 13).

Local governments have done more than their fair share over the past decade
to increase the national rate of recycling.  Dramatic future progress can
only be achieved through the adoption of new rules for businesses that
ensure that waste decisions are factored into the design, manufacturing,
promotions, and shipping of products to consumers, all decisions that are
beyond the control of local governments.

[Add example of a major problem you are facing locally that needs more
attention on Product Stewardship to solve it.]

Thank you for your consideration.  If you have any questions, please
contact me at [add phone number] or [add email address].

[Add your signature and contact info: address, phone, fax and email]
 From original EPA Public Notice:

If there are questions about the draft paper or the upcoming meetings,
please contact Angie Leith in EPA's Office of Solid Waste at (703)
308-7253, or by email at  <leith.angie@epa.gov>.

We ask that ....comments be submitted no later than January 15, 2002. Due
to recent disruptions in postal deliveries, we strongly encourage you to
email comments. Comments may be emailed to

RCRA-Docket@epa.gov (subject: Beyond RCRA White Paper).

Address regular mail to:

Beyond RCRA White Paper
c/o RCRA Information Center
U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (5305G)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460

A summary of the comments expressed at the meetings will be
prepared and made available to all interested parties.  Written comments
will be available for viewing by interested parties at the RCRA
Information Center, located at Crystal Gateway 1, First Floor, 1235
Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA.