[GreenYes] Research Request: What motivates people to recycle?
[forwarded from a colleague; respond to list:]

I am looking for literature that quantitatively addresses the
question, "What motivates people to recycle?"

That is, to what extent can monetary incentives, convenience,
environmental awareness, etc. be expected to trigger
participation in recycling programs? I realize this question
quickly becomes complex and that objective answers are
ellusive.  I want to review the literature on how researchers
have attempted to answer it and what kind of conclusions
they've reached.