Re: [GreenYes] Zerowaste areas exporting waste ?
Siobhan,
Both the City and the County of Santa Cruz, California, have adopted Zero
Waste Resolutions.  These resolutions do not have teeth, but recognize a
long-term goal of achieving zero waste in our communitites.

Neither the City nor the County exports any garbage - that goes to landfill
locally.  However, most of the materials that are segregated and processed
for future use through recycling are exported, as we do not have the
industrial infrastructure here.

I hope this answers your question.

the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has."   -Margaret Mead
Jeffrey Smedberg, Recycling Programs Coordinator
County of Santa Cruz Public Works Department, California
831/454-2373  Fax 831/454-2385  E-mail recycle@co.santa-cruz.ca.us