[GreenYes] We are winning -- Philippine campaign update

dear all,

The new Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed the
Solid Waste Management Act last week.  As many of you know,
we have been lobbying for the passage of this law since we got the
ban on incineration in our Clean Air Act.  The new law is not perfect
-- but it does include many of the provisions we have been fighting
for namely:

-- mandatory segregation of wastes at source
--  mandatory composting and recycling for local governments with
clear targets (e.g. 25 % recycling in 5 years)
-- a ban on disposable packaging (although which materials will
have to be banned will still be determined by the National
Packaging Institute -- we want to include PVC and styrofoam there)
-- incentives for the development of  recycling markets
-- exclusion of incineration as a "resource recovery" option

The challenge is of course matching words with action.  There are
still those discordant voices pushing for the lifting of the
incineration ban -- but as a clear indication that we are winning --
almost all the government agencies dealing with waste are now
talking about waste segregation, recycling , and composting. The
tide is clearly turning in our favor.  Our coalition here,  the Eco-
Waste Coalition continues to exert pressure on the new
government.  The President has called for a Garbage Summit in a
couple of days -- and we will make sure that this does not
degenerate into a trade fair for waste management companies.

more as this develops,

Von

Von Hernandez
Campaigns Director
Greenpeace Southeast Asia (Philippines)
Unit 326 Eagle Court Condominium,
#26 Matalino St., Bgy. Central, Diliman
Quezon City, PHILIPPINES
Tel: (632) 434-7034;  Fax (632) 434-7035
Mobile :  (63)(0)917-5263050