From: <greenyes-d-request@earthsystems.org>
To: <greenyes-d@earthsystems.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 3:00 AM
Subject: greenyes-d Digest V01 #32

[ Muna Lakhani <muna@iafrica.com> ]

> Administrivia:
>
>  To accommodate all digest subscribers, the digest will now
>  be  sent out in plain text.
>

> For those who have asked:
>
> GETTING MORE THAN ONE DIGEST A DAY?
>
> The digest is sent out when its contents reach a certain
> file size.  If there are a lot of messages posted to
> GreenYes in a day, especially large messages, more than one
> digest may be sent out. This is completely normal and is done
> to ease the burden on our server and to prevent you from
> having an excessively large message in your inbox.

----------------------

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:22:42 -0600
> From: TomT <tomt@mwes.com>
> To: "'Ann Schneider'" <schneiderann@juno.com>,
>         multiple recipients of
> <greenyes@earthsystems.org>
> Cc: greenyes@earthsystems.org
> Subject: RE: [GreenYes] Last Chance to Try to Stop Ashcroft
Nomination

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
understand

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C08B0B.29FF57B8
>
> Ann,
> Thank you for responding to my question.
> I think I understand the gist of your short answer.
> I have to admit though that I disagree w/ some key points.
>
> >The overriding environmental problem in the world is too many
people.

> I don't believe this to be the problem.  I believe that the
world is quite
> capable of supporting the current population.  The problem is
that people
> are irresponsible and self-serving.  As you pointed out,
Americans use more
> resources than any other country.  The solution is to curb our
insatiable
> appetite - our appetite for material goods/wealth and our
appetite for sex
> (to name just a few).  Every time we hop into our 4-wheel drive
6 cylinder
> car to drive a half a block to pick up a package of individually
sliced and
> wrapped cheese, we fail our environment in several ways.  Every
time we
> dance beneath the sheets in an irresponsible manner, we fail our
> environment, also I believe in several ways.
>
> Abortion is not the answer - it's another self-serving
irresponsible
> band-aid.
>
> People are starving all over the world.  The problem isn't over
population.
> It's the distribution and waste of resources due to
irresponsibility that is
> the problem.
>
> >Ashcrofts belief that there should be no birth control, and
especially no
> abortion,hense no family planning hence more unplanned or
unwanted
> pregnancies
>
> My wife and I practice natural family planning.  This means that
we don't
> use abortion as a means of birth control.  It also means that we
don't use
> artificial means of birth control such as prophylactics and
especially
> abortafacients such as the pill or IUDs.  That's true natural
family
> planning for people who take responsibility for their actions.
>
> >Let me point out that no one wants an abortion.  What is needed
is
> comprehensive family planning and education, both here in the US
and
> around the world.
>
> Over 1 million children are killed every year and over 38
million have been
> killed since Roe vs Wade (we're talking just in the US).  I
think at least a
> few people want an abortion.
>
> I agree on the education part.  I am leary on what you mean by
> "comprehensive family planning".  Does this include abortion as
a means of
> birth control?  Or artificial birth control methods such as the
pill or IUDs
> which act (at least in part) as abortifacients?
>
> >Second, from a woman's perspective freedom of choice is very
important.

> No one wants an abortion, but it should be an option?
>
> My heart goes out to EVERY woman who has had an abortion,
legally or not.
> And my heart also goes out to those unwanted chilren (UNWANTED
CHILDREN - my
> God, how sinister is that?) that are killed every couple of
minutes (again,
> just in the US).
>
> >These non-medical operations often killed the woman or
permnently
> sterilized her
>
> Women are stilled killed or sterilized from abortion.  And what
about the
> emotional baggage that goes along w/ an abortion (legally
performed or not)?

> And where do this aborted babies go?  The landfill I'm guessing.
Is that
> egologically sound?
>

> Now that I understand a little bit more about Ashcroft's stand
on the
> environment and how his job might affect the environment, I can
understand
> why we should oppose him.  But if we're opposing him (and bush)
because of
> his (their) view on birth control and abortion, I'm not with you
on this
> one.
>
> PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is the ONLY solution.

consumption.

> Let me point out that no one wants an abortion.  What is needed
is
> comprehensive family planning and education, both here in the US
and
> around the world.
>
> As you can see from one of bush's first actions - stopping US
funding of
> international family planning clinics that include discussion of
abortion
> or abortion * is a clear sign of conservative beliefs in this
area.

> * bush's order blocks funding from international clinics even if
the
> funding for abortion or discussion of abortion as an option
comes from
> other sources.
>
> Second, from a woman's perspective freedom of choice is very
important.
> Prior to 1973, it was illegal to have an abortion in the US.
Women with
> money could find a safe hospital, those without went to back
alley
> "abortion clinics".  These non-medical operations often killed
the woman
> or permnently sterilized her.    I don't believe Ashcroft will
protect
> freedom of choice and will lead us back to those dangerous
times.

> Second, it is the Attorney Generals responsibility to enforce
the laws of
> the nation but I think Ashcroft will not emphasize laws that he
does not
> believe in, e.g., women's right to choose, pollution
enforcement.  Again,
> look at the other environmental cabinet nominee, Gale Norton,
who
> believes corporations can enforce environmental regulations on
> themselves.  Or bush's policy in Texas where companies can
enforce
> environmental rules on themselves.  Check the record in Texas to
find
> that it ihas one of the greatest levels of pollution in the US.
Put the
> two together and trying to protect the environment through
direct action
> may become quite difficult.
>
> Also remember that the Attorney General recommends federal
judges who
> decide on many environmental cases.  So, the AT is very
important to the
> protection of the environment.
>
> It appears that Congress will pass Norton but take a stand on
Ashcroft
> because he is so far to the right.
>
> Hope this helps you understand my reasons for opposing Ashcroft.
(And I
> didn't get into his civil rights actions but can forward legions
of
> information on this area to anyone who is interested.  If you
step on
> civil rights of people, what is to stop you from stepping on
protecting
> plants and animals.)
>
> Ann Schneider
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:18:50 -0600 TomT <tomt@mwes.com> writes:
> > Forgive my ignorance, but why do we oppose Ashcroft's
nomination?
> > Will his job affect the environment?

SIZE=3D2>Thank you =
> for responding to my question.</FONT>
> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I
think I =
> understand the gist of your short answer.</FONT>
> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I
have to =
> admit though that I disagree w/ some key points.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;The overriding environmental problem in
the world =
> is too many people.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I don't believe this to be the problem.&nbsp;
I =
> believe that the world is quite capable of supporting the
current =
> population.&nbsp; The problem is that people are irresponsible
and =
> self-serving.&nbsp; As you pointed out, Americans use more
resources =
> than any other country.&nbsp; The solution is to curb our
insatiable =
> appetite - our appetite for material goods/wealth and our
appetite for =
> sex (to name just a few).&nbsp; Every time we hop into our
4-wheel =
> drive 6 cylinder car to drive a half a block to pick up a
package of =
> individually sliced and wrapped cheese, we fail our environment
in =
> several ways.&nbsp; Every time we dance beneath the sheets in an
=
> irresponsible manner, we fail our environment, also I believe in
=
> several ways.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Abortion is not the answer - it's another =
> self-serving irresponsible band-aid.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>People are starving all over the world.&nbsp;
The =
> problem isn't over population.&nbsp; It's the distribution and
waste of =
> resources due to irresponsibility that is the
problem.</FONT></P>

> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Ashcrofts belief that there should be no
birth =
> control, and especially no abortion,hense no family planning
hence more =
> unplanned or unwanted&nbsp; pregnancies</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My wife and I practice natural family
planning.&nbsp; =
> This means that we don't use abortion as a means of birth =
> control.&nbsp; It also means that we don't use artificial means
of =
> birth control such as prophylactics and especially
abortafacients such =
> as the pill or IUDs.&nbsp; That's true natural family planning
for =
> people who take responsibility for their actions.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Let me point out that no one wants an =
> abortion.&nbsp; What is needed is</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>comprehensive family planning and education,
both =
> here in the US and</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>around the world.&nbsp; </FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Over 1 million children are killed every year
and =
> over 38 million have been killed since Roe vs Wade (we're
talking just =
> in the US).&nbsp; I think at least a few people want an =
> abortion.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I agree on the education part.&nbsp; I am
leary on =
> what you mean by &quot;comprehensive family
planning&quot;.&nbsp; Does =
> this include abortion as a means of birth control?&nbsp; Or
artificial =
> birth control methods such as the pill or IUDs which act (at
least in =
> part) as abortifacients?</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Second, from a woman's perspective freedom
of =
> choice is very important.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>No one wants an abortion, but it should be an
=
> option?</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My heart goes out to EVERY woman who has had
an =
> abortion, legally or not.&nbsp; And my heart also goes out to
those =
> unwanted chilren (UNWANTED CHILDREN - my God, how sinister is
that?) =
> that are killed every couple of minutes (again, just in the =
> US).</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;These non-medical operations often killed
the =
> woman or permnently sterilized her</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Women are stilled killed or sterilized from =
> abortion.&nbsp; And what about the emotional baggage that goes
along w/ =
> an abortion (legally performed or not)?</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And where do this aborted babies go?&nbsp; The
=
> landfill I'm guessing.&nbsp; Is that egologically sound?</FONT>
> </P>
> <BR>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now that I understand a little bit more about
=
> Ashcroft's stand on the environment and how his job might affect
the =
> environment, I can understand why we should oppose him.&nbsp;
But if =
> we're opposing him (and bush) because of his (their) view on
birth =
> control and abortion, I'm not with you on this one.</FONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is the ONLY
solution.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Ann Schneider [<A =

HREF=3D"mailto:schneiderann@juno.com";>mailto:schneiderann@juno.com
</A>]<=
> /FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 10:01
AM</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: multiple recipients of</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cc: greenyes@earthsystems.org</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Last Chance to Try to
Stop =
> Ashcroft Nomination</FONT>
> </P>
> <BR>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Short Answer</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The overriding environmental problem in the
world is =
> too many people. </FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>The more people, the more resources needed to
=
> sustain them and the fewer</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>resources/space for plants and animals.&nbsp;
=
> Americans use more resources</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>than people from any other country so every =
> additional American has a</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>much larger impact on the environment.&nbsp;
So =
> reason number one for the</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>environment is Ashcrofts belief that there
should be =
> no birth control,</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and especially no abortion, hense no family
planning =
> hence more unplanned</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>or unwanted&nbsp; pregnancies, more people,
more =
> resource consumption.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Let me point out that no one wants an
abortion.&nbsp; =
> What is needed is</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>comprehensive family planning and education,
both =
> here in the US and</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>around the world.&nbsp; </FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As you can see from one of bush's first
actions - =
> stopping US funding of</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>international family planning clinics that
include =
> discussion of abortion</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>or abortion * is a clear sign of conservative
=
> beliefs in this area.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>* bush's order blocks funding from
international =
> clinics even if the</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>funding for abortion or discussion of
abortion as an =
> option comes from</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>other sources.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Second, from a woman's perspective freedom of
choice =
> is very important. </FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Prior to 1973, it was illegal to have an
abortion in =
> the US.&nbsp; Women with</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>money could find a safe hospital, those
without went =
> to back alley</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;abortion clinics&quot;.&nbsp; These =
> non-medical operations often killed the woman</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>or permnently sterilized
her.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
> don't believe Ashcroft will protect</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>freedom of choice and will lead us back to
those =
> dangerous times.&nbsp; </FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Second, it is the Attorney Generals
responsibility to =
> enforce the laws of</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the nation but I think Ashcroft will not
emphasize =
> laws that he does not</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>believe in, e.g., women's right to choose,
pollution =
> enforcement.&nbsp; Again,</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>look at the other environmental cabinet
nominee, =
> Gale Norton, who</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>believes corporations can enforce
environmental =
> regulations on</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>themselves.&nbsp; Or bush's policy in Texas
where =
> companies can enforce</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>environmental rules on themselves.&nbsp;
Check the =
> record in Texas to find</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that it ihas one of the greatest levels of
pollution =
> in the US.&nbsp; Put the</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>two together and trying to protect the
environment =
> through direct action</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>may become quite difficult.&nbsp; </FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Also remember that the Attorney General
recommends =
> federal judges who</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>decide on many environmental cases.&nbsp; So,
the AT =
> is very important to the</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>protection of the environment.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It appears that Congress will pass Norton but
take a =
> stand on Ashcroft</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>because he is so far to the right.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hope this helps you understand my reasons for
=
> opposing Ashcroft. (And I</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>didn't get into his civil rights actions but
can =
> forward legions of</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>information on this area to anyone who is =
> interested.&nbsp; If you step on</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>civil rights of people, what is to stop you
from =
> stepping on protecting</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>plants and animals.)</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Ann Schneider</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:18:50 -0600 TomT =
> &lt;tomt@mwes.com&gt; writes:</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Forgive my ignorance, but why do we
oppose =
> Ashcroft's nomination?&nbsp; </FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Will his job affect the
environment?</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Ann Schneider [<A =

HREF=3D"mailto:schneiderann@juno.com";>mailto:schneiderann@juno.com
</A>]<=
> /FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 6:28
AM</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: multiple recipients of</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: [GreenYes] Last Chance to Try to
Stop =

TARGET=3D"_blank">http://congress.nw.dc.us/dem/congdir.html</A></F

SIZE=3D2>*****************************************************</FO

> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To post to the greenyes
list, =
> send a letter to:</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>greenyes@earthsystems.org</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To unsubscribe, send a
message =
> to:</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>greenyes-request@earthsystems.org with the =
> subject</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>unsubscribe.&nbsp; If you have any problems,
=
> please</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>write to www@earthsystems.org.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The GreenYes Listserv
depends on =
> reader support.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Your tax-deductible contribution in any
amount can =
> be</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>made by mail (check) or on the web (credit
card) =
> at</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>our website: <A HREF=3D"http://www.grrn.org";
=
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.grrn.org</A>. Just click on
the</FONT>

SIZE=3D2>******************************************************</F

> </P>
>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C08B0B.29FF57B8--

----------------------

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:41:35 EST
> From: JillMJ77@aol.com
> To: tomt@mwes.com, schneiderann@juno.com
> CC: greenyes@earthsystems.org
> Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Last Chance to Try to Stop Ashcroft
Nomination

> Enough.
>
> Please remove my name from this listserve or send me directions
on how to
> remove my name.
>
> Thank you.

----------------------

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:59:38 +0200
> From: Muna Lakhani <muna@iafrica.com>
> To: greenyes <greenyes@earthsystems.org>
> Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Trends - Small Scale
>
> small scale power generation is good - however, we can all
easily agree
> that the most benign qualify - wind, solar, solar thermal,
biomass / bio
> gas, and micro-hydro...
>
> pretty much anything else creates a potential nightmare!!
imagine our
> (South Africa's) power utility getting permission to buils their
pebble
> bed modular reactors - we could have HUNDREDS of nuclear
reactors in
> places we havent even considered - like in your backyard,
powering a