[GreenYes] Re: ZERO WASTE ACTIVISM TAKES ON GLOBAL WARMING

It's great that Dan is out there scooping up valuable construction materials that would otherwise go to waste.

I remember during the 1980s and 1990s here in Vancouver, when opportunistic developers anticipated the transfer of assets from Hong Kong to Canada (aided and abetted by federal government policy here) and many hundreds of sound little houses were demolished in our city, only to be replace with hastily built "monster houses" (called that by locals because they were big and ostentatious as they were ugly).

A small portion of the total destroyed housing stock was salvaged through "Demo Sales" that were held the weekend before the demolition crews came in. Often it was immigrant small business people of modest means who made a deal with the developer to sell off oak and fir flooring, windows, doors, and other building materials that the buyers would remove with their own crowbars. Sort of a U-pick Urban Ore operation...

Most of the waste that eluded the Demo Sale shoppers ended up not in municipal waste landfills and incinerators, but in local dumps permitted to take "inert" materials. Several of these facilities caught fire during the 90s. Some of the demo waste ended up in our municipal landfill, and it caught fire there too, burning out of control for three weeks in one instance.

Even though construction waste is a huge problem. The short-sighted demolition of sound buildings, as well as the sloppiness of construction crews driven by avaricious developers for whom time is money, is a travesty. EPR is not the right tool to prevent wasting in the construction industry. Here we are exploring municipal instruments like development and occupancy permits.

On the other hand, the buildings that are being constructed now should be subject to some sort of EPR. The junky building materials will have no salvage value for Urban Ore or informal "Demo Sale" proprietors.

Helen.