[GreenYes] Request for ZW cities to encourage U.S. to fight climate change with Zero Waste

Apologies for Cross-Postings

From: "Monica Wilson" <monica@no.address>
Subject: Request for ZW cities to encourage US gov't to fight climate change with Zero Waste
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:07:36 -0800

In December 2008, the world's governments will convene in Poznan, Poland to negotiate a new climate change treaty. As they grapple with possible solutions, few realize that Zero Waste is one important solution that lies within their grasp.

We are currently circuiting an open letter to the world's governments at: www.globalgaia.org/poznan This letter will be delivered to many governments (including the State Department delegation from the US, and the Obama transition team) before the climate change meetings in December.

It would be especially helpful to have local governments who have adopted Zero Waste send letters to the State Department and Obama transition team, encouraging them to pursue zero waste as a win-win solution for climate, waste, jobs, and the environment overall. The letter above might be a good framework to work with. I don?t know what it takes for a local government to be able to send a letter like this, but I would be delighted to talk with anyone interested in pursuing it.

The US Delegation is headed by:
Mr. Trigg Talley, Director, Office of Global Change, Department of State
2201 C Street NW Room 2480 Washington, DC
(1-202) 647-3984  (1-202) 647-0191  talleyt@no.address
And we?re figuring out who to contact from the Obama transition team.

For more on the connection between waste and climate change, see the GAIA website at: www.globalgaia.org/climate (and while you're there, please explore our new website!)

Thank you for all your good work and friendship,
Monica
(And apologies for cross-posting)

--
Monica Wilson
GAIA: Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives/ Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance

Gary Liss & Associates
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485
www.garyliss.com