[GreenYes] [Fwd: Help urgently requested: New candle flame standards proposed for electronics]

Title: [GreenYes] [Fwd: Help urgently requested: New candle flame standards proposed for electronics]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Help urgently requested: New candle flame standards proposed
for electronics
Date:   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:14:06 -0400
From:   Blumenfeld, Natalya <NBlumenfeld@no.address>
To:     Blumenfeld, Natalya <NBlumenfeld@no.address>

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for all of your past work to help defeat two IEC standards for
electronics that would have put toxic fire retardant chemicals in most
household electronics sold worldwide. Thanks to our international
coalition of NGOs, scientists, and physicians, we succeeded in stopping
both standards earlier this year. Now, we’re asking you to act again to
stop /two more/ proposed standards that would have enormous negative
impacts for human health and the environment.

We are now working to defeat international standard proposals IEC
108/297/CDV and 108/304/DC that would lead to a very large increase in
the use of potentially toxic fire retardant chemicals in the plastic in
electronics sold worldwide, seriously impacting human health and the
global environment, in order to protect against a very small fire
hazard. Our white paper describing these impacts is attached and can be
found online at
http://greensciencepolicy.org/files/standards/MASTERWhitepaper.pdf
<http://greensciencepolicy.org/standards.shtml>.

*
We need your help: as many of you did for the last two standards, please
email the secretary of your IEC national committee with the letter we
have attached. The deadline for voting is next Friday, October 3, so
please act quickly if you can.*

You can find the contact information of your IEC committee secretary
by clicking on the following link, IEC Member Countries
<http://www.iec.ch/cgi-bin/procgi.pl/www/iecwww.p?wwwlang=e&wwwprog=membrs3.p>

(http://www.iec.ch/cgi-bin/procgi.pl/www/iecwww.p?wwwlang=e&wwwprog=membrs3.p

<http://www.iec.ch/cgi-bin/procgi.pl/www/iecwww.p?wwwlang=e&wwwprog=membrs3.p>),

which will take you to the IEC website. From there, click on your
country’s name. This will bring you to a page with contact information
for your IEC Secretary: please e-mail the sample letter (be advised that
no attachments are allowed in the e-mail, so you will need to copy and
paste our sample letter). Please make sure to only send this information
to the Secretary, *not* the President.

If you have time, it would also be helpful to follow-up with a phone
call to your IEC secretary. The phone number is provided on the same
website as the other contact information.

Please let us know if you have any trouble accessing this information,
and we can provide it for you individually.

Thank you for your time and energy on this important issue!

Natalya Blumenfeld and Sara Schedler

Natalya Blumenfeld and Sara Schedler
Safe Kids Campaign

311 California St., Suite 510