[GreenYes] Re: National Asscoiation of Counties adopts Framework EPR policy

Dear Dan,

I need to respond to your comments. I'm not sure why there is such animus between you and the Product Policy Institute, and particularly towards Bill. Both Bill and I have made every effort to understand and respond to concerns you have raised in the past about EPR and about PPI. We see you as part of the EPR solution, as we have said repeatedly.

The pharmaceutical products collected through British Columbia's EPR program do not go to the MSW incinerator in this region.

Here is the wording from the 2006 Annual Report submitted by the PharmX program to the BC government:

WASTE DISPOSAL

As per our program plan, we are limited in our ability to reduce the environmental impact of medications without affecting their legislative and regulatory obligations under Health Canada and Environment Canada. PCPSA with its Medications Return Program strives to limit environmental impacts. We urge pharmacists to recycle plastic by using recycling bins or take plastic containers used to dispatch pills and capsules for dispensing and outer containers coming from customers handing in unused or expired medications to recycling facilities when available in their communities. PCPSA organize transportation of large quantity of containers for destruction to government approved facilities to limit environmental impacts. All residual medications collected through the B.C. Medications Return Program was incinerated by:

1) Beiseker Envirotech Inc (formerly Cristallo Engineering Technologies Inc). Located in Beiseker, Alberta.

Due to the nature of the waste and the risk to the public, no efforts are planned to move away from incineration as the preferred method of managing the residual medications.

Dan, if you have information about alternative ways of treating pharmaceutical discards besides high-temperature incineration, I would really like to hear about them and recommend them to the provincial government, which approves stewardship plans under our EPR regulation.

I want to assure you that we are mobilizing against the proposed expansion of the WTE infrastructure for MSW in our region. The recent visit by Annie Leonard and Paul Connett was tremendously useful in raising public consciousness that the proposal is on the drawing board ~ we are confident that we will stop it.

You will be interested to know that the pebble that made the biggest rings in Paul Connett's recent talk here was the vision of "Resource Recovery Parks" instead of incinerators. Your model of a cluster of businesses providing recycling services is a constructive alternative to the conventional resource-destroying solutions favoured by traditionally trained municipal engineers. This idea really resonated with local elected officials, who saw it increasing their tax base rather than their municipal budgets.  Vancouver may become a site for Canada's first "Discard Mall" rather than a suite of new incinerators. We feel that the economic viability of the businesses in such a Resource Recovery Park will be enhanced by our EPR policy that prevents producers from using municipal discard disposal infrastructure.

All the best,

Helen.