[GreenYes] Railroad Ties

Title: [GreenYes] Railroad Ties

All,
I am assisting a local "scenic" railroad as their line is being upgraded
to support a new commuter line between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. While
salvaging the old rail has brought an unexpected windfall to Santa Fe
Southern, the local operator, handling the ties has proven to be a bit
more of a challenge. Of course all salvageable ties will be consumed in
a resale market. It is the close to 6,000 rotted and decayed ties that
we are trying to keep out of the landfill. I suspect there may be a
value to these materials in a facility approved to consume tires as a
fuel source? Obviously has a significant environmental downside but
might it be preferable to the landfill?
Any thoughts are appreciated...
Justin

--