From: Peck.Cara@no.address
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:37:01 -0700
Subject: Anaerobic Digestion of Food Waste Final Report Available
Greetings,

The US EPA, Region 9 Office of Pollution Prevention and Solid Waste is
pleased to announce the final report "Anaerobic Digestion of Food
Waste."

In 2006 EPA Region 9 awarded a $50,000 grant to East Bay Municipal
District (EBMUD), a wastewater treatment facility in Oakland, California
to investigate anaerobically digesting food wastes from restaurants,
grocery stores and other food-handling facilities at a wastewater
treatment facility.  EBMUD bench-scale digesters were fed only food
wastes, but were operated under a variety of conditions, varying
digester loading rates, temperature, and other parameters.  The project
recovered significant quantities of energy from food waste as well as
high volatile solids reduction, showing the potential of diverting large
quantities of valuable food waste from landfills.

The final report and a fact sheet summarizing the results can be found
on our website at
http://www.epa.gov/region09/waste/organics/ad/index.html

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank You,
Cara Peck
U.S. EPA Region 9
Office of Pollution Prevention and Solid Waste
(415)972-3382
Peck.Cara@no.address

Recycling: It is not just about landfill diversion, it is about
replacing virgin material production which will significantly reduce
energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

Visa, MasterCard, AMEX & Discover. Compare Offers & Apply Online. Click here!