Subject: [GAIA] waste prevention at a local level
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:23:31 +0200
From: CEPA-Ecologistes de Catalunya <cepa@no.address>
To: gaia-members@no.address

Our organization (Catalan Foundation for Waste Prevention and
Responsible Consumption) is conducting a study about prevention and
re-use of packaging. At the moment we are researching on municipal
instruments (around the world) for waste prevention, such as regulations
and fiscal measures. We look for municipal Ordinances where prevention
measures are regulated. In addition, which waste prevention measures
have been made and its results, that is the waste reduction registered.

Some examples of it:

1) Munich: the use of non recoverable crockery in public events (such us
Oktoberfest, AuerdDult Faire, Christmas market, Munich's marathon, etc.)
is forbidden from 1990.

2) Nürnberg was the first German city to introduce a municipal Ordinance
of waste prevention in 1990. From 1992 reusable plastic glasses with
deposit are used in municipal open-air swimming-pools, stadiums, etc.

3) Some studies carried out in Wien concluded that waste prevention
measures were more effective than investing in new incinerators,
therefore the local government decided to perform waste prevention
measures during the period from 2000 to 2010.

If you have information of these experiences or others regarding
municipal instruments for waste prevention, please let us know.

Looking forward to hearing news from you,

Marta Beltran