From: Pete Pasterz <PAPasterz@no.address>

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:42:21
To:"Jewell, Rebecca" <RJewell@no.address> , "GreenYes@no.address" <GreenYes@no.address>
Subject: [GreenYes] RE: [html][heur] [GreenYes] Re: Series of blunders turned
the plastic bag into globalvillain

My reply initially went to Nancy Poh, the original poster:

"Interesting....but certainly marine animal deaths are not the only, or even most prominent, reasons being given for bag bans.   The research cited here is quite dated...much of it is 20+ years old, and the 40-year old study from 1968 which showed plastic bags did have an impact would certainly be under representative as the number of bags then was miniscule as compared to today.   Where are the current studies??  Is there no research, or was it omitted from the article to make the desired editorial point?  The article also seems to only address entanglement, which is not the only peril of interactions with plastic.  Ingestion of plastics mistaken for food was not mentioned, with the exception perhaps of the 40 year old albatross study.  I wonder what the research on the Pacific Plastic Gyre is showing on bag-related mortality?"

I since did some research on the Greenpeace scientist quoted.   I'm a little skeptical about the veracity of the quote, since he is the co-author of a Greenpeace research paper which summarizes research that outlines the problems of plastics in the oceans including mortality due to ingestion....although he may have indeed been referring only to entanglement in this statement, but this is hard to determine out of context...I still stand by my concerns about needing to see more recent study in light of the plastic gyre and increased volumes.