[GreenYes] Economic Value of trash for waste to energy plants?

Title: [GreenYes] Economic Value of trash for waste to energy plants?

Greetings,

   The other day I was driving along.. and it occurred to me.. I'm
wondering what the economic value is of various forms of waste for waste
to energy/trash to steam plants.  I was considering the paper recycling in
the county where my mom lived, and wondering where it actually goes,
considering that they actually have an incinerator in the area too, and
paper would probably be a good feedstock for the incinerator.

Since many decisions in the waste industry seem to be economic ones... how
much is trash worth per ton (or any other measurement) in regards to the
value to an incinerator?  How many BTUs of energy can you typically
recover from the average household waste?  If it isn't blatantly obvious,
my thought process is this: if we want to reduce the amount of refuse
going to incinerators, the economic value of that waste needs to be higher
for the purpose of reuse and recycling than it is for incineration.  Does
that make sense?

--
MS