[GreenYes] Re: Indoor composting economics

Title: [GreenYes] Re: Indoor composting economics

I used to run a compost business that handled about 14,000 tons of
plant debris per year.  The climate in our part of California is
milder than Boston's, but there are lots of deciduous trees and lots
of leaves in the fall.  We were blessed with a pretty constant supply
of clean plant debris to shred and windrow.  We didn't take
putrescibles back then; urban composting on such a large scale was
quite new.

But I'm wondering whether the supply if plant debris is as subject to
wild swings as people on this thread seem to assume.  At our Compost
Farm there was some seasonality, but it was reflected more in the
content of the plant debris than its volume.  That's because people
don't restrict gardening to leaf cleanup, and every season has it's
major tasks:  in the winter people prune and cut and weed; in the
spring they clear land, cultivate and weed, in the summer they
deadhead blooms, harvest fruit and vegetables, and weed.

Composting plant debris is like haircutting; either the hair keeps
growing and keeps getting cut, or after awhile you're going to look
pretty disheveled.

By the way, human and animal hair composts well, too.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc.