[GreenYes] Re: Zero Waste plans

Rick et al -

As Rick notes, resource management is indeed what it's all about, and 38 years of bridges have brought us only to where we are.  In about 1973 I spoke to one of the people at Recycle Ann Arbor who was an inventor of recycling.  I asked why recycling was just for cans, bottles, and paper.  She said that recyclers realized nearly everything could be recycled, but the public had to get the idea.  So if recycling started with easy things available at home, the public would get the idea and develop a system that would recycle everything.  That start was as far as the idea got in many places.

The solid waste paradigm turns recycling into a Sisyphean struggle up the slopes of Mt. Trashmore.  We can't wait any more for the wasters to lead in a direction contrary to the interests of their purse.

Resource management and development is the framework that lets us grow.  It structures in health for the planet.  It will also expand local economies and can bring production and jobs back home.

It's time to admit there's no way to develop a win-win solution with wasting.  We want the landfill to lose - yes?  If yes, the first technical obstacle is the Sacred Packer Truck.  This taboo object, which few people mention and most treat as an invisible, unassailable assumption - a sacred cow - is just a container vehicle.  It was invented after WWII in partnership with the newfangled sanitary landfill, Hell's baklava.  The truck made scavenger companies stop their traditional materials recovery; they became trucking companies.  Its heart is a hydraulic system whose sole purpose is to minimize trips to wherever it is emptied.  It works by maximizing collection tonnage per route.

It also automatically destroys resources that could have been recycled.  As Dan Knapp says, it manufactures solid waste by mashing and contaminating resources.  It is a perfect partner and feeder mechanism only for the landfill, which uncritically accepts everything in any condition.

It's a terrible partner for recycling, since recycling methods are fussy if they are proud of their products' quality.  They want unmixed resources.

Manage resources, not garbage.  Dump the Sacred Packer Truck that makes garbage.  Collect resources instead.  Take them to a facillity that can process clean incoming flows into quality feedstocks for industry.  Six sigma quality control.

Magic black boxes are run by magicians.  Resource systems are run by us.  Who do you trust?

Mary Lou Van Deventer
Urban Ore