[GreenYes] Re: Styrofoam cups vs everything else

Thank you to all of you who responded. I feel much more educated about
how to go about this now, and I'm going to formulate some sort of
proposal for the session at church regarding the use of styrofoam in
the fellowship hall for church sponsored events. I feel like I'm
doing a jigsaw puzzle though! My congregation is about as
conventional in their outlook as they come, and I'm certain almost
none of them have given even a passing thought to where any of their
trash ends up, much less the trash from the church where the group,
and not the individual, makes decisions. There is a balance between
educating and calling to action that I've got to sort out. First on
my list of things to address is a recycling program, and maybe some
rain barrels (we are in the southeast and in the midst of a drought).
But I'm going to see what I can do about finding some better options
for tableware than the current petroleum based plastic utensils and
styrofoam plates, cups and bowls. Thank you for the links, the
insights, and the thoughtful personal anecdotes. It has really helped
me to sort through the quagmire!

By the way, I wanted to applaud all of you, because I've been writing
to various organizations looking for insights into this issue and the
only response I have gotten from anywhere, other than Dr. Martin
Hocking, are the responses I've gotten from you all. I was about to
give up asking for information because I wasn't getting anywhere.
Y'all are awesome!

Shannon Ward