[GreenYes] facility in Orlando processing The Villages recycled garbage "single stream"

FEBUARY 27 - RECYCLING

6:30 p.m. - Laurel Manor Recreational Center

At our February meeting, we revisit RECYCLING, with our guest speaker, Doug McCoy from Waste Management.  A facility in Orlando will be processing The Villages recycled garbage using a "single-stream" process.

In 2001, Waste Management became the first major solid waste company to focus on residential single-stream recycling, which allows customers to mix recyclable paper, plastic and glass in one bin. Residential single stream programs have greatly increased the recycling rates, recovering as much as three times the amount of recyclable materials.

Single-stream is made possible through the use of various mechanized screens and optical sorting technologies used in many of Waste Management's Material Recovery Facilities (MRF's) or recycling plants.

Doug will describe the process and answer questions.

Meanwhile,The Villages is waiting for the Wildwood Transfer Station to obtain a permit from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to handle recycled materials. When the permit is issued, The Villages should be ready to start it's recycling program ... hopefully before the February program.

Happy New Year
Leonard