[GreenYes] Re: Styrofoam cups vs everything else

Title: [GreenYes] Re: Styrofoam cups vs everything else

Hi Shannon:

Just yesterday I went out to do the week's composting.  As usual I
dug a hole in the center of the pile where the discarded food and
food paper from a week would go.  At the bottom of the hole was the
remains of a compostable plastic bag my wife bought to carry leaves
in the front yard to the back for composting.  The bag had been green
and about 90% intact when I put it on top of last week's food
offerings and covered it with new plant trimmings to keep the
critters out.  Now it was only about 20% there and what remained was
quite shredded and had turned a dark gray.  By next week it will be
gone.

I've also composted other types of compostable bags with similar
results.  And a couple of years ago after a recycler's party I
composted some hard plastic forks and knives that were corn-based
polymers.  All gone, no trace.

There's a lot of hyperbole out there in the world.  I've heard from
such "authorities" that corn-based polymers require high heat to
compost and so won't compost in a relatively cool backyard pile.
Baloney!  Tell it to the worms, the sowbugs, the millipedes, the
fungi, the bacteria that live in my low-heat compost digester and
that make short work of such "food-grade" polymers.

It's the petroleum-based polymers that are resistant and show up as
plastic litter when I break down my piles to liberate all the good
humus that has been created so it can be sequestered from the
atmosphere into the soil of my garden.  Even that plastic litter
shows signs of degradation, but I pull it out and send it to
landfill, making a mental note not to use such products if I can help
it.

Try it yourself.

I have no idea who Martin Hocking is, but there are many scientists-
for-hire out there who do get grant money from plastics manufacturers
and whose learned-sounding opinions are worth about as much as
plastic litter.  The plastics industry has been one of the biggest
and most persistent sources of misinformation and disinformation
about their product plague for decades now.

Dan Knapp, Ph.D.
CEO, Urban Ore, Inc., a Berkeley-based reuse and recycling company
since 1980.