[GreenYes] [GAIA] GAIA-3 flown out of Indonesia!

Although not what GAIA asked for completely (wanting GAIA-3 to be able to proceed on to the Climate Change conference in Bali), at least the GAIA-3 are now out of harm's way.  Thanks to all who wrote emails and letters and called officials to express concern!

Gary Liss

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:12:41 -0000 (UTC)
From: "yuyun ismawati" <yuyun@no.address>
To: gaia-members@no.address

By the time i wrote this update,
our 3 beloved collegues have been flew
out from Indonesia.

The previous update I've sent was up to 3 am.

At 5 am, the three came back from the immigration office with upset and
anger. Gigie had a very bad migrain. the immigration officer asked her to
sign the document as the pre-requisite to go to doctor. However, Gigie
signed 2 pages out of 5 but added the note explaining that she signed
under ill condition and under arrest.

At 8 am we checked out from the hotel, fetched by several immigration
officers as well as by several inteligent police officers to Bandung
Immigration office. Gigie remained inside the car accompanied by Mira of
Ashoka.

After waiting for the "unclear and never-ever-signed documents" at 10 am
the three were shown in public. Initially the immigration asked them to go
out from the back door. but about 70 Gedebage communities representatives,
mostly women, came to say good by to the three and thanks for their
support. That was the most memorable moment in our mission....
Gigie and me could not hold our tears as well...

At 10 am the journey to jakarta begun escourted by 4 immigration officers
and 4 intelegent officers from bandung. Traffic and rain halted the travel
to jakarta made them missed the flight.

At 3 am all of us entered the airport departure hall and lead to
immigration office. Indri from KONTRAS, Indonesian Human Right NGO founded
by Munir, asked the officials to show us the deportation letter. Meanwhile
we tried to find the nearest possible flights for the three. Kristin of US
embassy and her staff assissted Neil.

However, THE OFFICIAL FAILED TO SHOW US THE SAID LEGAL LETTER OF
DEPORTATION. I was upset and mad, then started to speak outloud. Indri
also insisted asking the letter which was not able to shown by any of the
intelegent police officers, nor by the Bandung immigration officers.IT WAS
TOTALLY MESS AND FRAUD OF DEPORTATION, A COMPLETE HARRASSMENT FOR ME AS
THE HOST AND FOR THE GAIA COLLEAGUES AS OUR GUESTS.

Together with Indri of Kontras, Gatot of LBH, we discussed the strategy
outside. Our NGO colleagues in jakarta will make a stratement tonight of
tomorrow showing the BIG BLUFFING BULL**** of THE DEPORTATION WITHOUT ANY
ExPLANATION.

I think it is critical that GAIA should address this SERIOUSLY to teh
Government of Indonesia (GOI) and addressed in to the UNFCCC forum.

in solidarity,
yuyun