[GreenYes] Fwd: Urgent: Free Zero Waste leaders jailed in Bandung, Indonesia

Media leaders:

Please publicize this ASAP!

Gary

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:06:03 -0800
To: secretariat@no.address (Mr. Yvo de Boer, Executive Secretary, UNFCC Secretariat)
From: Gary Liss <gary@no.address>
Subject: Urgent: Free Zero Waste leaders jailed in Bandung, Indonesia
Cc: mannyc@no.address,Gary Liss <gary@no.address>,
 "Zero Waste International" <zwia@no.address>,ZERI-US@no.address,
 GreenYes@no.address,<zerowastecommunities@no.address>

Mr. Yvo de Boer, Executive Secretary, UNFCC Secretariat,

I am a Zero Waste consultant in Loomis, California (www.garyliss.com ), on the Planning Group of the Zero Waste International Alliance (www.zwia.org), on the Executive Committee of the Global Recycling Council of the CA Resource Recovery Association ( http://www.crra.com/grc/index.html), and a Zero Waste Advisor to the GrassRoots Recycling Network (www.grrn.org) in the United States.

I was outraged this morning to open my email to find that several of the leaders of the Zero Waste movement globally have been jailed in Indonesia.  This is the first time I know of in the Zero Waste movement worldwide where our leaders have been jailed.

In reviewing the details that have been provided to us below, it appears that there are no charges filed, and it's questionable what charges would be possible in an open, civilized society.

I urge you to investigate this incident immediately and arrange for the release of these Zero Waste leaders.

Gary Liss