[GreenYes] College Council Created By New York State Recycling Association

For More Information
Contact                                               For Immediate
Release
John F. Halenar, Program Coordinator
551-486-0315
johnhalenar@no.address
www.nysar3.org

College Council Created
By New York State Recycling Association

(COOPERSTOWN, NY)?Colleges and Universities
across the State of New York should find it
easier to implement and expand on-campus
recycling programs, as well as to deal with
challenges related to waste prevention and other
environmental issues, as a result of a new
program introduced by the New York State
Association for Reduction, Reuse and Recycling (NYSAR3).

The new NYSAR3 College Council was unveiled at
the organization's annual Fall Recycling
Conference, held this year at the historic
Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown.  The College
Council is a membership-based organization
designed to provide a forum through which college
students, environmental staff, and faculty can
share information about common environmental
problems and best practices that have been
developed to overcome those problems.

The College Council will also provide college and
university representatives with access to the
expertise and knowledge of the environmental
professionals who make up the regular membership of NYSAR3.

From the organization's perspective, the College
Council will serve as a vehicle through which
NYSAR3 can add to its membership base from a
previously untapped segment.  It is also hoped
that the management structure that is planned for
the College Council will serve as a model for
other existing NYSAR3 programs, such as the Buy
Recycled Alliance of New York, which is designed
to encourage business, government and individuals
to purchase more recycled-content products; the
Organics Council, which promotes composting
across the state; and the GoGreen Initiative, a
statewide program that helps K-12 schools
implement recycling and other environmental programs.

Former Verizon Environmental Manager and
long-time NYSAR3 board member John Halenar has
been named as the state coordinator for the
College Council.  "I'm really excited to be part
of this project because I believe it's going to
be a win-win for everyone involved," Halenar said.

"I think the colleges will be able to benefit
from our public and private sector members, and
as importantly, I think our regular membership
will be able to learn a lot from the really
exciting and innovative programs that are being
implemented on some of our New York
campuses.  And, of course, some of us old-timers
who have been involved with environmental issues
for a long time are likely to be re-energized by
having a chance to work closely with the young
men and women who will be our future
environmental leaders."

Halenar said NYSAR3 has been considering creation
of the College Council for some time, having
conducted a roundtable discussion at last year's
recycling conference to determine interest and
the feasibility of creating the new program.  Now
that the NYSAR3 board has approved the concept,
Halenar said he will immediately start contacting colleges about:

        *  signing on as founding members
        * developing a members-only listserve and newsletter
        * adding a College Council page to the NYSAR3 website;
        * planning regional meetings and workshops
         * and developing a college-oriented
track for next year's recycling conference, among
               other tasks.

For more information about the College Council or
to receive a membership application, contact
Halenar at 551-486-0315 or
johnhalenar@no.address.  For more information on
NYSAR3 and its other programs and services,
contact NYSAR3's Administrative Assistant Diane
Fisher at PO Box 3913, Albany, NY  12203;
1-888-925-7329; e-mail: diane@no.address or see
the NYSAR3 website at www.nysar3.org.

                                                (End)

GW Associates