[GreenYes] Re: let's make it clear what the real challenge is...

Hi there, Greenyes list ~

Eric is absolutely correct that citizens need to line up to speak to the Frederick County Commission and demand that the County cease collecting "mixed waste" and burning and burying it. Mixed waste collection made sense a century ago when most (75% in studies from that period) municipal waste was ashes from coal furnaces. Today's waste is different and absolutely requires much more careful handling. Not only are there hazardous substances embedded in the products we buy and discard, but the highly engineered and refined materials in waste contain much more "embodied energy" (the energy required to replace them) than what they would generate in a so-called "waste to energy" incinerator. Communities that use waste incinertors are burning the furniture to heat the house.

Our metropolitan region is facing exactly the same dilemma as Frederick County. We have rising waste volumes (46% compounded increase in past 7 years) and imminent expiry of an existing landfill.

However our elected officials response was to take an action not suggested by their professional staff: on their own initiative they issued a "Zero Waste Challenge" to the citizens and municipalities in the region.

They backed this up by instructing staff to:
- prepare a bylaw raising the fee for disposal in comparison to the fee for source separated yard waste;
- prepare a bylaw banning disposal of recyclable materials and providing resources to enforce it;
- get serious about finding a way to compost the food-waste that comprises 40% of our waste, reduces the efficiency of our state-of-the-art incinerator and emits the GHG methane in our landfills (only 20% of which is captured by our state-of-the-art methane capture system).

The staff have been busy. Our region will soon begin a pilot of a food-waste composting system being successfully used by Seattle. Citizens have formed a committee called Zero Waste Vancouver, which will be organizing a citizens' delegation to Seattle to inspect how the food-waste collection program works on the ground: what is it like to separate your yucky food waste from the garbage? Are people having trouble getting use to this? We will be videotaping people's comments and kitchens, and bringing their stories back to share with our citizens. We will be happy to share our findings with citizens' groups in other communities, such as Frederick County, to show their elected officials and fellow citizens.

It is time for citizens to speak up, as they did a century ago, and demand that their elected officials put in place programs that will solve the problems of today, which are excess consumption and climate change.

Helen.