From: GreenYes group <noreply@no.address>
To: GreenYes digest subscribers <GreenYes@no.address>
Subject: 11 new messages in 4 topics - digest
Date: 18/09/07 12:54

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/5dd459b75838e89d?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/cd5f08054bed56f1?hl=en
> * Article on Zero Waste in CA, from Sri Lanka newspaper covering trip of
Jaime

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/ef655e12fcd640ff?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/56657442f51dd4a8?hl=en

> TOPIC: Environmental awareness

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/5dd459b75838e89d?hl=en

> == 1 of 5 ==
> Date: Mon, Sep 17 2007 1:31 pm
> From: David Biddle
>

> Amy-
>
> Check out this Joel Makower blog entry that I received today:
> http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html He
> makes reference to the Green Gauge reports. You might want to follow the
> links in the article.
>
> The book ³Breakthrough² by Michael Shellenberger and Ted Nordhaus, the
> authors of infamous essay ³The Death of Environmentalism,² feel the same
> thing Makower does, i.e., that opinion surveys about environmental
awareness
> are rather specious. There¹s a lot of evidence for this and S&amp;N
provide some
> in their book. People say they are concerned about the environment when
you
> ask them, but at the same time more generally when asked what the top 10
> issues are that concern them, most folks don¹t even put the environment on
> their list.
>
> Obviously you¹re after very specific info on recycling type awareness, but
> I¹m not sure how much value there is in it. This helps you not at all, I
> know. Sorry.
>
> Db
> --
> David Biddle, Executive Director
> &lt;http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>
> Greater Philadelphia Commercial Recycling Council
> P.O. Box 4037
> Philadelphia, PA 19118
>
> 215-247-3090 (desk)
> 215-432-8225 (cell)
>
> &lt;http://www.gpcrc.com>
>
> Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
> businesses in communities across North America!
> Go to: &lt;http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>
>

> on 9/8/07 8:39 PM, amy perlmutter at amy@no.address wrote:
>
> &gt; I¹m trying to find out if there have been any surveys done of
environmental
> &gt; awareness, or indicators of it, in the US, broken down by state or
region.
> &gt; Recycling rates may be one indicator of awareness, purchase of
EPP¹s,...
> &gt; Anyone have any ideas or places they can steer me to?
> &gt;
> &gt; Thanks.
>

> == 2 of 5 ==
> Date: Mon, Sep 17 2007 1:39 pm
> From: amy perlmutter
>

> Thanks, David.  Actually, what I am looking for are some statistics to
back
> up what businesses leaders have told me in some focus groups I have been
> running on clean tech: that one of the draws of doing business in Ma is
> heightened awareness and understanding of environmental issues. It¹s
> interesting how many business people have said that.  So I was thinking
that
> could perhaps be illustrated through documenting behavior (Ma recycling
rate
> compared to other states- not sure what else I can find to illustrate
> behavior), or some sort of survey about environmental attitudes or
awareness
> that might compare states or regions.   I¹ll look at the mackower piece.
> welcome any other suggestions.  I¹m looking for something that¹s less than
5
> years old, preferably relatively recent.
>

> On 9/17/07 4:31 PM, &quot;David Biddle&quot; &lt;Dbiddle@no.address&gt;
wrote:

> &gt; Amy-
> &gt;
> &gt; Check out this Joel Makower blog entry that I received today:
> &gt; http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html
He makes
> [...]

> http://www.greenbiz.com/toolbox/reports.cfm
>
> --
> David Biddle, Executive Director
> &lt;http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>
> Greater Philadelphia Commercial Recycling Council
> P.O. Box 4037
> Philadelphia, PA 19118
>
> 215-247-3090 (desk)
> 215-432-8225 (cell)
>
> &lt;http://www.gpcrc.com>
>
> Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
> businesses in communities across North America!
> Go to: &lt;http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>
>

> on 9/17/07 4:39 PM, amy perlmutter at amy@no.address wrote:
>
> &gt; Thanks, David.  Actually, what I am looking for are some statistics
to back up
> &gt; what businesses leaders have told me in some focus groups I have been
running
> &gt; on clean tech: that one of the draws of doing business in Ma is
heightened
> &gt; awareness and understanding of environmental issues. It¹s interesting
how many
> &gt; business people have said that.  So I was thinking that could perhaps
be
> &gt; illustrated through documenting behavior (Ma recycling rate compared
to other
> &gt; states- not sure what else I can find to illustrate behavior), or
some sort of
> &gt; survey about environmental attitudes or awareness that might compare
states or
> &gt; regions.   I¹ll look at the mackower piece.  I welcome any other
suggestions.
> &gt; I¹m looking for something that¹s less than 5 years old, preferably
relatively
> &gt; recent.
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; On 9/17/07 4:31 PM, &quot;David Biddle&quot;
&lt;Dbiddle@no.address&gt; wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt;&gt; Amy-
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Check out this Joel Makower blog entry that I received today:
> &gt;&gt;
http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html He
makes
> &gt;&gt; reference to the Green Gauge reports. You might want to follow
the links in
> &gt;&gt; the article.
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; The book ³Breakthrough² by Michael Shellenberger and Ted
Nordhaus, the
> &gt;&gt; authors of infamous essay ³The Death of Environmentalism,² feel
the same
> &gt;&gt; thing Makower does, i.e., that opinion surveys about
environmental awareness
> &gt;&gt; are rather specious. There¹s a lot of evidence for this and
S&amp;N provide some
> [...]

> &gt;  There must be something you can use at the GreenBiz.com site. Try:
> &gt; http://www.greenbiz.com/toolbox/reports.cfm
> &gt;
> &gt;  --
> &gt;  David Biddle, Executive Director
> &gt;  &lt;http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>
> &gt;  Greater Philadelphia Commercial Recycling Council
> &gt;  P.O. Box 4037
> &gt;  Philadelphia, PA 19118
> &gt;
> &gt;  215-247-3090 (desk)
> &gt;  215-432-8225 (cell)
> &gt;
> &gt;  &lt;http://www.gpcrc.com>
> &gt;
> &gt;  Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
> &gt;  businesses in communities across North America!
> &gt;  Go to: &lt;http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;  on 9/17/07 4:39 PM, amy perlmutter at amy@no.address wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; Thanks, David.  Actually, what I am looking for are some statistics
to back
> &gt; up what businesses leaders have told me in some focus groups I have
been
> &gt; running on clean tech: that one of the draws of doing business in Ma
is
> &gt; heightened awareness and understanding of environmental issues. It's
> &gt; interesting how many business people have said that.  So I was
thinking that
> &gt; could perhaps be illustrated through documenting behavior (Ma
recycling rate
> &gt; compared to other states- not sure what else I can find to illustrate
> &gt; behavior), or some sort of survey about environmental attitudes or
awareness
> &gt; that might compare states or regions.   I'll look at the mackower
piece.  I
> &gt; welcome any other suggestions.  I'm looking for something that's less
than 5
> &gt; years old, preferably relatively recent.
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;  On 9/17/07 4:31 PM, &quot;David Biddle&quot;
&lt;Dbiddle@no.address&gt; wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; Amy-
> &gt;
> &gt;  Check out this Joel Makower blog entry that I received today:
> &gt; http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html
> &gt; He makes reference to the Green Gauge reports. You might want to
follow the
> &gt; links in the article.
> &gt;
> &gt;  The book &quot;Breakthrough&quot; by Michael Shellenberger and Ted
Nordhaus, the

&gt;&lt;http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html>http://makower.typepad.com/joel_makower/2007/09/whats-behind-th.html

> &gt;He makes reference to the Green Gauge reports. You might want to
> &gt;follow the links in the article.
> &gt;
> &gt;The book &quot;Breakthrough&quot; by Michael Shellenberger and Ted
Nordhaus,
> &gt;the authors of infamous essay &quot;The Death of
Environmentalism,&quot; feel
> &gt;the same thing Makower does, i.e., that opinion surveys about
> &gt;environmental awareness are rather specious. There's a lot of
> &gt;evidence for this and S&amp;N provide some in their book. People say
> &gt;they are concerned about the environment when you ask them, but at
> &gt;the same time more generally when asked what the top 10 issues are
> &gt;that concern them, most folks don't even put the environment on their
list.

> Yep, I agree.  And elected officials, with few exceptions, are the
> same.  Part of the problem is that &quot;environment&quot; and
&quot;environmental&quot;
> are terms so broad and vague as to mean little.  Like &quot;family
> values.&quot; What does it mean ... ????  I also think a big part is the
> disarray of the US environmental movement, if there still is one.  It
> seems tied up in turf-defence, competition, and grant-grubbing.  Is
> any real intellectual leadership coming from it, on, say, global
> warming or resource management?
>
> Clearly the business community, bogus as most of the &quot;green&quot;
> propaganda is, is shifting ground more quickly and more effectively than
NGO's.

&lt;colink@no.address&gt;

&gt;&lt;http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402369/index.htm>The

&lt;http://www.fatroman.com>Fat Roman
> &gt;
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;
>
> Gary Liss &amp; Associates
> 916-652-7850
> Fax: 916-652-0485
> www.garyliss.com
>

> == 2 of 4 ==
> Date: Tues, Sep 18 2007 5:17 am
> From: Gary Liss
>

> For more details, see:
> http://www.marcgunther.com/
> and
>
> Coca-Cola Sets Goal to Recycle or Reuse 100
> Percent of Its Plastic Bottles in the U.S.: Financial News - Yahoo!
Finance

&lt;colink@no.address&gt;

&gt;&gt;&lt;http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402369/index.htm>The

&gt;&gt;&lt;http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070905006109.html?.v=1>here.

&gt;&lt;mailto:sustainablebusiness-fullfeatured@no.address?subject=Change

> [...]

> &gt;
> &gt; This is NOT diluting the brand of Zero Waste, just some positive
> &gt; actions and commitments by a major player in the field.  We also
> &gt; clearly need to address the refillables issues with them to ensure
> &gt; that these positive actions do not undercut the higher priority of
> &gt; reuse.
> &gt;
> &gt; Gary
> &gt;
> &gt; At 07:03 AM 9/18/2007, Bill Sheehan wrote:
> &gt;&gt; A couple of clarifications on Marc Gunther's article circulated
by
> &gt;&gt; Gary Liss that suggest prudence on hawking the Zero Waste brand
> &gt;&gt; too cheaply.  Coke is to be congratulated on committing to invest

> &gt;&gt; in recycling more of its plastic, but calling that Zero Waste may

> &gt;&gt; be premature.
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Gunther:  &quot;Zero waste ... won a powerful new supporter
yesterday
> &gt;&gt; in the Coca-Cola Co., which set a long-term goal of having every

> &gt;&gt; bottle it sells in the U.S. recycled or reused.&quot;
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; An article in Plastics News (August 31, by Mike Verespej) had a
> &gt;&gt; more sober article with some interesting specifics.
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Plastics News:  &quot;In 2006 ... [Coca-Cola] introduced in the
> &gt;&gt; Netherlands a light-weight, recyclable bottle containing 25
> &gt;&gt; percent recycled material that will replace the refillable
plastic
> &gt;&gt; bottles it previously sold in that market.&quot;
> &gt;&gt; Is this Zero Waste?
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Gunther:  &quot;Coke's plastic bottles currently contain about
10%
> &gt;&gt; recycled PET.&quot;
> &gt;&gt; Plastics News:  &quot;Coca-Cola Enterprises, which bottles 19
percent
> &gt;&gt; of Coca-Cola nonalcoholic beverages worldwide and is its largest

> &gt;&gt; bottler, used recycled PET for 3.8 percent of its needs last
year.&quot;
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Gunther: &quot;The plant will open next year; it will produce
about 100
> &gt;&gt; million pounds of food-grade recycled PET for reuse each year.
> &gt;&gt; Plastics News:  &quot;In 2006 ... almost 4 billion pounds of PET

> &gt;&gt; bottles were not recycled.&quot; [U.S., industry wide]
> &gt;&gt; A long ways to go to Zero!
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; And most importantly:
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Plastics News:  &quot;Coca-Cola also has invested $2
million&quot; in
> &gt;&gt; voluntary recycling programs, which it plans to promote
> &gt;&gt; nationally. &quot;Despite the need for more recycled materials,
Coca-

&gt;&lt;http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2007/09/09/imp02.asp>http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2007/09/09/imp02.asp

> [...]
> &gt;interest loans?, he said.
> &gt;
> &gt;Educating school children is the most successful step, according to
> &gt;Lozano, that a country can adopt to reduce waste and promote
re-cycling.
> &gt;
> &gt;&quot;The most powerful group is the school children and they will go
any
> &gt;home and change the parents, educate the parents and make a
> &gt;sustainable change. We started programs where the teachers got
> &gt;involved. The children are given the training on re-cycling from
> &gt;small days. They are given assignments to understand how does
> &gt;landfill work. Ultimately they will influence their parents and also
> &gt;the neighbours to change their environment&quot;, he pointed out.
> &gt;
> &gt;Lozano said that Sri Lanka can get products from India, China and
> &gt;the USA and it is vital to implement programs to start businesses
> &gt;with trash. &quot;You can consume them, collect them, manage it in a
way
> &gt;where you give value added with change them so make them in another
> &gt;industry locally and make a new product, which generatesself
> &gt;employment&quot;, he added.
> &gt;
> &gt;According to Lozano, there are lots of opportunities for education
> &gt;and lots of people are very interesting and but Sri Lankans are not
> &gt;communicating with each other about the matter.
> &gt;
> &gt;&quot;Solid waste management in Sri Lanka has a growth but I think
that
> &gt;the educational experts and the government should get together to
> &gt;implement a workable program on solid waste management. There's lots
> &gt;of promise in Sri Lanka. If not, Sri Lanka is going to face many
> &gt;problems in future&quot;, he warned.
> &gt;
> &gt;&lt;mailto:shanika@no.address>shanika@no.address
> &gt;*************************
> Jaime A. Lozano
> Environmental Specialist II
> Department of Public Works
> Bureau of Sanitation
> Citywide Solid Resources Recycling Div.
> 1149 South Broadway
> 10th Floor, Mail Stop 944
> Los Angeles, CA  90015-2213
> (213) 485-3873  Fax (213) 485-3671
>

> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
>
> Gary Liss &amp; Associates
> 916-652-7850
> Fax: 916-652-0485
> www.garyliss.com

> TOPIC: FW: The latest on zero waste from NRC

http://groups.google.com/group/GreenYes/browse_thread/thread/56657442f51dd4a8?hl=en

> == 1 of 1 ==
> Date: Tues, Sep 18 2007 7:08 am
> From: &quot;Bill Sheehan&quot;
>

> A couple of clarifications on Marc Gunther's article circulated by Gary
Liss