[GreenYes] RE: Measuring State Recycling Rates

Title: [GreenYes] RE: Measuring State Recycling Rates

RE:  State Recycling Rates

Comparing state recycling rates is never an apples-to-apples comparison and
should be avoided.  First off, it is highly unlikely that one would ever
find two states that measure exactly the same items. One state might include
construction debris, or automobiles, while most states do not include these
items. Secondly, state "A" might include imported items (aluminum cans for
example) that were generated in state "B" but recycled in state "A".  This
happens (with aluminum cans in fact) at the national level.  Cans sold and
collected in Canada are recycled in the US.  Both Canada and the US count
them as "recycled" cans, when in fact, only Canada should take credit for
recycling since they were generated there.

Bottom line.....don't put any credence in overall state recycling rates.

Pat Franklin
patfarrellfranklin@no.address