[GreenYes] good questions on plastics recycling (there's no such thing as plastic)

No such thing as plastics?  Are you serious that most recycling professionals no longer use this moniker?

What is the practical value to the recycling industry of using the word 'polymer' instead of 'plastic' to identify this group of synthetic, petroleum based materials?  Since plastics are a subset of polymers, why expand the universe of materials to which we refer by using the word polymers?  Wouldn't this add to the confusion?  I think the words can be used interchangeably in a recycling context but 'plastic' is a more universally recognized and understood term, chiefly because the petro-chemical industry has a long tradition of marketing these materials under the name of 'plastics' and consumers and industry have bought into it.  Industry professionals certainly do understand the subclass of plastic 'resins' but I think it's lost on most consumers, the SPI coding system notwithstanding.

PS:  Polymers can refer to any protein synthesized in cellular activity, not just the cell walls.  (There's my word-parsing for the day!)

Wayne Turner
Assistant Solid Waste Administrator
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities
phone: (336) 727 8418
fax: (336) 727-8432
email: waynet@no.address

>>> Dan Knapp <dr.ore@no.address> 9/4/2007 5:49 PM >>>
Several years ago, I came to the same conclusion as David Biddle and stopped using the word "plastics" to refer to that particular commodity in all its complex forms and subsets. Since then I've called this class of discards "polymers," because that's what they are: long carbon-based chains of repeating and interlocking molecular forms. Polymers differ greatly in characteristics such as look and feel, use, and biodegradability. Plastics are a subset of polymers.

This nomenclature works for me.

And I know that cellwalls are polymers, etc., but hey, you gotta stop parsing words somewhere.

Or maybe not.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc.
A Berkeley reuse and recycling business since 1980