[GreenYes] Re: two thumbs up in Baltimore RE: [GreenYes] Big Belly trash compactors

I also heard that Chicago was using them on their beaches and that they liked them too....it was mentioned on NPR story about a week ago.

Christine McCoy
City of Alexandria
703/519-3486 ext. 132

"Stephen N Weisser" <stevew@no.address>
Sent by: <GreenYes@no.address>

07/26/2007 11:32 AM

Please respond to
<stevew@no.address>

"'Brenda Platt'" <bplatt@no.address>, "'GreenYes digest subscribers'" <GreenYes@no.address>
cc
Subject
[GreenYes] two thumbs up in Baltimore  RE: [GreenYes] Big Belly trash compactors

Brenda,
I can't offer any feedback as to how they do or don't work.

But I have seen them at Inner Harbor in Baltimore and am very pleased with what I see.  In fact back before they had them I've noticed occasional trash cans overflowing and was subsequently disappointed with the result of anymore litter hitting the ground/water.  I have noticed on recent visits that the ground and the water are cleaner, and I think these Big Belly's are helping.  The litter collecting trash net which catches the trash that isn't supposed to be going down the storm drains is also helping.  Definitely worth the investment not only for a cleaner environment, but much improvement to the image of the harbor, keeping it cleaner.

I am disappointed at the lack of recycling at the harbor.  But hey, no different than most other public areas where recycling isn't happening.  At least they've tackled the first problem: reducing/eliminating the litter.  Hate to say it but it almost seems like public area recycling is a lost cause, and personally I'd rather see that emphasis be on bottle bills.

Steve Weisser

Stephen N. Weisser, Sales Manager
GreenLine Paper Company, Inc.
631 S. Pine Street