[GreenYes] Conversion Factor Reality Check...

Hey folks - as you know I've been working on conversion factors to embed
in our implementation plan form data base so businesses and multifamily
properties can estimate recycling vs. trash generation. I came up with the
following that I think could work, but wanted to check in with others to
see if it makes sense.

So I started with conversion factors for beverage containers:

Rigid plastics = 65 lbs
Bev plastics/aluminum = 35 lbs
Glass ? 750 lbs.

If we assume that for a restaurant the percentage of each of these would
be about:

Rigid plastic @ 5% = 65 x .05 = 3.3 lbs.
Bev plastic/aluminum @ 10% = 35 x .1 = 3.5 lbs.
Glass @ 85% = 750 x .85 = 637.5 lbs.

so the average weight would be about: 644 lbs.

And for an office, multifamily, or other business type it would be:

Rigid plastic @ 5% = 65 x .05 - 3.3lbs
Bev plastic/aluminum @ 85% = 35 x .85 = 29.75lbs.
Glass @ 10% = 750 x .1 = 75 lbs.

so the average weight would be about: 118 lbs.

What do ya'll think? Also, does anyone have a conversion factor for trash
volume to tons. I know this would be different for various business types
as well, but would settle for a single number at this point. Let me know
if you have a reference. I can't seem to find anything among the
literature.

Thanks much!!

Christine McCoy
City of Alexandria