[GreenYes] Re: Anyone know what the "waste" part of this "gold st andard" legislation is?

The bill is for a cap and trade system that would have many of the
details of how it impacts waste worked out further down the road. One
point of interest is the Climate Reinvestment Fund. In general, with
a cap system there are two general ways of distributing emission
allowances: they can either be given away to industry for free based
on historic emissions levels (grandfathering); or you can make
industry purchase them through an auction. Or you can have a hybrid
of the two. If emission allowances are auctioned, a pool of revenue
is generated that then can be directed for specific purposes. One
idea might be to fight for some of this revenue to be directed
nationally towards supporting recycling and other zero waste
strategies. This bill does not specify what percentage (if any) of
allowances would be auctioned. In section "e" it does offer criteria
for how revenue generated from the auctioning of permits should be
used. Recycling would perhaps best fit under item (4) encouraging
research, development, and commercial deployment of innovative
technologies for avoiding, reducing, or sequestering greenhouse gas
emissions. Unfortunately, the bill calls for the President to oversee
the Climate Reinvestment Fund.
Dave Ciplet
GAIA