[GreenYes] Re: RecycleBank

At 01:03 PM 2/10/2007 -0800, you wrote:
>Is anyone familiar with RecycleBank ( http://www.recyclebank.com/)?
>What do you think of it? A colleague asked me if anyone has worked
>with them in CA.
>
>Gary

They have operations in Wilmington, Delaware, and the Philadelphia area.

To me, the most interesting part of their operations is that they
have put arms with scales on the trucks, and are weighing the (single
stream, including glass) recyclables containers from each household,
and keeping track of them using an RFID device on each can. So, they
are in effect creating an account that can be tracked for each
household. (There is no weighing of the non-recycled material
containers but this would seem equally possible.....)

The RecycleBank business model is to give people coupons or credits
on a weight basis that can be redeemed for merchandise. They claim
success in upping participation rates but I don't know their current numbers.

My sense is that this technology is powerful and could be used in
many different ways, such as targeting households with low apparent
low recycling rates for educational/enforcement efforts, or other
types of incentives. It is, or can be, a type of PAYT system.

I also wonder about the intrusiveness of it. But I haven't heard
anyone else raise this concern.

Alan

>Gary Liss & Associates
>916-652-7850