[GreenYes] does mercury recycling lead to more use in gold refining?

For the last several years, I have spent most of my time on mercury product issues and would like to offer a different perspective to the issue of whether mercury recycling results in more mercury being used in gold refining in third world countries.

The use of mercury for this refining has existed for a long time, before the recent thrust to increase the capture and recycling of mercury.

What mercury recycling has done is to reduce the demand for virgin mercury, which is either intentionally mined or obtained as a by-product from other mining. In fact, due to the recycling of mercury and a decrease in demand for mercury, several virgin mercury mines have closed. This has reduced the total amount of mercury being dispersed throughout the environment and recyclers should be very proud of their role.

However, I believe that the goal should be the banning of all uses of mercury and that the mercury in products should be captured and sequestered. As an example, my County has banned the sales of specific mercury containing products and called on the state to ban products statewide. We also have active programs to recycle mercury and require retailers to set up recycling programs.

It should be again noted that a mercury flow model done last year for EPA shows that the amount of mercury going the environment each year in the US from products is three times the amount of mercury released to the air from coal-burning power plants. This is an area that we as recycling program managers can actively participate in.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI