[GreenYes] Re: CFL disposal in MN and other CFL issues

All,

Here's a relevant copy-paste from today's Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERI) Network News.  Be sure to check out the referenced report.

Stephan

Raleigh, North Carolina, Commits to LED Lighting

Photo of a square light fixture featuring an array of glowing white dots, hanging from a concrete ceiling.

An LED light fixture in the City of Raleigh's municipal parking garage is the start of turning Raleigh into "LED City."
Credit: Lighting Science Group Corporation

Raleigh, North Carolina, aims to become an "LED City" through a wide deployment over the next 18 months of lights that use light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Raleigh first installed LED lighting in one floor of its municipal building's parking garage in December 2006, and has already quantified a 40 percent energy savings and a great improvement in lighting on that floor. The project used LEDs from Cree, Inc. that were incorporated into fixtures by the Lighting Science Group Corporation (LSGC) and installed by Amtech Lighting Services. Based on the results of that project, Raleigh now plans to deploy LED lighting in its garage and parking lot lights, street lights, architectural and accent lighting, portable lighting, and pedestrian and walkway lighting. See the Cree press release and photos of the garage on the LSGC Web site.

Raleigh's "LED City" initiative may provide a preview of the world two decades from now. A new report prepared for DOE by Navigant Consulting Inc. makes projections of the price and performance of LEDs and organic LEDs (OLEDs). The most positive assumptions find that LEDs and OLEDs could save 348 million kilowatt-hours of electricity by 2027. See the report, "Energy Saving Potential of Solid-State Lighting in General Illumination Applications" (PDF 340 KB). Download Adobe Reader.

daklute@no.address wrote:
Hi, Doug

LED's are commercially available and used readily in higher-end commercial applications and are begining to appear in very high-end residential homes mostly as under-counter lights. They will most likely fundamentally change the face of lighting, but are a long way from being universally applicable.

Similar to Moore's Law for computers, LED's are regularly reducing the amount of energy used per lumen produced.

Your defense of incandescents is mostly correct, but each justification gets less and less important as time goes on. The light quality of CFL's is changing (for the better) regularly with a number of much "warmer" bulbs now being marketed through main-stream retailers. The biggest drawbacks are down-lighting, oudoor lighting in extreme (MN) cold temps and dimming. Each is being addressed by the industry. BUt, I'm not sure either or the combination justifies a 125 year old, 5% efficient technology like the incandescent.

Best,
Chris