From: "retroworks" <ingenthron@no.address>
Sent 1/19/2007 5:33:42 AM
To: "GreenYes" <GreenYes@no.address>
Subject: [GreenYes] Re: Waste Not Asia Denounces Hazardous Technologies & Misuse of CDM

Hi Gopal,

This is all well and good, but this area of Asia should in particular
look at the entire lifecycle. Malaysia and Indonesia (Borneo, PNG) are
where the mining and forestry is taking place. Since I got into
recycling in 1977 (before Mobro) I have always found the general public
more excited by the idea of saving trees than by the idea of making
landfills lighter.

I'm not 100% certain that removing lead from solder in RoHS is
increasing tin mining and silver/ag mining in coral reefs on these
coasts, but I haven't ever heard anything to allay my concerns. When I
see this many environmentalists at a conference in Asia focused on
end-of-pipe and "zero waste" measures, I get kind of depressed. Is
there a similar Asian congress focused on demand-side issues?

A year ago a Chinese primary lead/zinc metal smelter dumped tons of
toxics into the Pearl River. I barely saw any coverage. It just seems
like the primary forestry and mining industries are the elephant in the
room, and everyone is focused on incineration, which wouldn't be a
problem if virgin material harvests bore a smidgen of their true costs.