[GreenYes] Re: Wellman Inc. closes South Carolina PET fiber plant

Here is an article from The State (Columbia, SC) citing cheap Chinese
imports:
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/15614685.htm

I also found this:
http://www.wastenews.com/headlines2.html?id=1159388391

Sept. 27 -- Wellman Inc. is closing its PET fiber plant in Johnsonville, S.C.,
in an attempt to improve its financial performance.

Shrewsbury, N.J.-based Wellman also plans to sell its material recycling
division, which converts post-consumer PET bottles to flake in Johnsonville.
A sale of the firm´s European PET resin and fiber assets in Emmen,
Netherlands, and Mullagh, Ireland, also is possible.

Wellman´s fiber production will be consolidated into its plant in Florence,
S.C., officials said in a Sept. 26 news release. The closing will eliminate
about 350 jobs, although some jobs could be transferred to the Johnsonville
site, Wellman investor relations officer Michael Bermish said in a phone
interview.

The closing is expected to be complete by the end of the year, Bermish said.
Wellman will continue to operate a plant in Johnsonville that makes
compounds based on recycled nylon. That plant employs about 200.

--
Thanks,
Paul

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch

The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves,
only complicated stupid moves which make us wonder at the possibility that
there may be something to them which we are missing. - Gamal Abdel Nasser