From: GreenYes@no.address [mailto:GreenYes@no.address]On Behalf Of Gary Liss
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:29 PM
To: crra_members@no.address; jtrnet@no.address; GreenYes@no.address; p2tech@no.address; p2@no.address; zwia@no.address
Cc: anderson@no.address; Steve Sherman; Steve Sherman, ESA; Gary Liss
Subject: [GreenYes] Seeking Communities Collecting Food Scraps from Residents

Apologies for Cross-Postings

The USEPA Region 9 has contracted with a team of consultants to determine what are the best practices regarding the collection and processing of residential organics.

This study will identify different factors that define the programs and will include recommendations to advance such programs, such as increasing the amount of organics diverted, reducing the costs of collecting or processing the material, and improving the quality and marketing of the products. These are viewed as critical next steps to helping communities move towards Zero Waste.

We would like to identify All communities in EPA Region 9 (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, the Pacific islands and Tribal Nations) to interview for this study that currently, in addition to yard trimmings, also collect food scraps and soiled paper. We are also looking to identify model communities beyond Region 9 in the U.S. or Canada. If you are such a community, or if you know of such a community, please email gary@no.address to share that with us.

After the analysis is done (around summer of 2007), we will also assist one or more communities that are interested in developing or expanding such residential organics programs. We would also like to identify communities in Region 9 now that may be interested in getting assistance in such efforts, particularly those interested in exploring less than weekly collection of food scraps as garbage. If you are such a community, or if you know of such a community, please email gary@no.address to share that with us as well.

Peter Anderson is the leader of our Project Team (RecycleWorlds and the Center for a Competitive Waste Industry, www.competitivewaste.org), assisted by Steve Sherman (Environmental Science Associates, www.esassoc.com) and myself (Gary Liss & Associates, www.garyliss.com).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Gary Liss

Gary Liss
916-652-7850