[GreenYes] Disc recycling

Is there a way to safely recycle CDs and DVDs? Our IT department wants
to recycle but are afraid that backup CDs with sensitive data or
licensed software may end up in the wrong hands. Any ideas on how to
destroy the data and still recycle the disc?

Also, I'm sure someone out there knows what happens to these CDs and
DVDs went sent to a recycler (greendisk, etc.)....can you let me in on
the secret??

Many thanks!
Megan