[GreenYes] Re: rainfall affecting recycling tonnage

Paul,

If you are talking about the biasing affects of precipitation on weight
measurements for a waste characterization there are a couple of papers
that may be of interest citations for which are listed immediately
below. If your are talking about the affects on participation rates
I've not seen any peer-reviewed literature or research discussing this
topic in any detail.

Sfeir, H., Reinhart, D., McCauley-Bell, P.R., 1999. An evaluation of
municipal solid waste composition bias sources. Journal of the Air and
Waste Management Association 49(9): 1096-1102.

Spendelow, P.H., 2001. Measuring recyclables in the waste stream:
Improvements in waste composition study methodology. 17th International
Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management.

Stone, R., Kahle, R.L., 1972. Water and sewage sludge absorption by
solid waste. Journal of Sanitary Engineering Division, ASCE 98(SA5):
731-743.

Sincerely,
Stephan

--
Stephan Pollard, Ph.D.-Environmental Dynamics
555 W. Maple St., Apt. C

(479) 444-7445
(479) 799-9190 cell