[GreenYes] Re: Food debris belongs outside the pipe.

At 09:38 PM 8/8/2006 -0700, Helen Spiegelman wrote:

>My impression is that there is impending a paradigm shift in sewage
>treatment towards less water-intensive approaches. Anyone read Lester
>Brown's Plan B 2.1? Rather than turn food into liquid waste, might we end
>up turning liquid waste into solid waste?
>
>H.

I think there is a sort of historical/technical revisionism going on
here. We always heard about how great sewers are. Now we are
beginning to see that we replaced stinky outhouses and cesspits and
honey wagons with massive surface and groundwater pollution. (In
2006, Wilmington Delaware still dumps around half a billion gallons
per year of untreated sewage into rivers....)

The "disposall" people seem curiously silent on the need for better
sewage treatment, even as they want us to use their products to add
loads to the systems.... When they show up in Delaware and help us
fight this battle I will be more receptive to their arguments on this list.

Alan Muller

Alan Muller, Executive Director
Green Delaware
Box 69